Senior Security Researcher (PL) Dell SecureWorks Pittsburgh, PA
Sr. Security Researcher - Threat Intelligence
Dell SecureWorks is a market leading provider of world-class information security services with over 3,000 clients worldwide spanning North America, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East and the Pacific Rim. Organizations of all sizes, including more than ten percent of the Fortune 500, rely on Dell SecureWorks to protect their assets, improve compliance and reduce costs. The combination of strong client service, award-winning security technology and experienced security professionals makes Dell SecureWorks the premier provider of information security services for any organization. Positioned in the Leader’s Quadrant of Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for MSSPs, SecureWorks has also won SC Magazine's "Best Managed Security Service" award for 2006, 2007, 2009 & 2010.
Dell SecureWorks Counter Threat Unit
Sr. Security Researcher - Threat Intelligence
The Sr. Security Researcher is a member of our Counter Threat Unit (CTU) Threat Intelligence team which researches, applies, and delivers intelligence about active and emerging information security threats. The successful candidate will influence the state of information security through proactive research into emerging threats, generation of defensive countermeasures, and consultation with customers, internal stakeholders, and the broader security community. The Sr. Security Researcher is a multi-faceted expert, a thought leader, a mentor for other security professionals, a trusted professional among the security community, and a public representative of Dell SecureWorks.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following
- Identify and lead performance of proactive all-source research to identify and characterize new threats, vulnerabilities, and risks to customer security context;
- Interact with customers to understand specific threat context for focused threat research;
- Use threat research to develop actionable intelligence to drive customer protection to include producing analysis to inform countermeasure development;
- Perform second-tier malware analysis to include reverse engineering;
- Produce actionable intelligence information for delivery to customers in the form of helpdesk ticket responses, technical reports, briefings, and data feeds;
- Influence global security through publication and presentation of new and novel security research.
- Provide expert-level security consultation in support of other business units, to include Security Operations Center, Security Risk Consulting, Sales, Marketing, Engineering, and Product Management;
- Provide input into strategic direction of organization and services in areas without precedent;
- Provide expert advice to security researchers and customers on security strategy, policies, and procedures; and
- Generate and apply innovation via moderate-to-long term projects to improve value of existing service lines and inform creation of new service lines;
- 5+ years of professional experience in systems administration, systems engineering, software development, and/or TCP/IP network administration;
- 5+ years of experience with a variety of security-related contexts, including secure coding practices, vulnerability analysis, IDS/IPS, cloud computing, virtualization, mobile security, incident response, digital forensics, malware analysis, threat research, or intelligence analysis.
- 2+ years of experience analyzing malicious code to include reverse engineering.
- Fluency in at least two high-level programming languages such as C/C++, Java, Delphi, or Visual Basic.
- Fluency in x86 assembly language on 32 and 64 bit platforms.
- Ability to create and query SQL databases.
- Demonstrated and recognized expertise in at least one aspect of information security, to include significant publication and/or presentation of new or novel research topic to public forum, conference, or media outlet.
- Demonstrated track record of identifying and pursuing strategic and complex areas of security research in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders at all levels, to include defining appropriate policies, practices, and countermeasures.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in private information sharing and analysis programs limited to vetted and trusted members.
- Courage and willingness to challenge conventional wisdom.
- Unimpeachable personal and professional integrity.
- Strong technical communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
- Team player with the ability to work autonomously in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Investigative and analytical problem solving skills.
- Inherent passion for information security and service excellence.
- Limited travel when required.
· Familiarity with discrete mathematics and common cryptography algorithms.
· Experience as a technical team leader or experience in managing small to medium sized teams.
· Experience leading medium to large scale technical projects involving multiple internal and external stakeholders.
Education and Experience
· Undergraduate degree in Information Security, Computer Science, or other applicable field plus 10 years of relevant experience; or
· Graduate degree in Information Security, Computer Science, or other applicable field plus 8 years of relevant experience; or
· 10+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
· CISSP, GIAC, or SSCP certification preferred
Life At Dell
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Job Requisition Number: 12000T1Y