Dell SonicWALL Software Dev Engineer II San Jose, CA
Software Development Engineer II – IH-SDE800
Dell has recently announced its acquisition of SonicWALL, Inc., a leader in advanced network security and data protection. SonicWALL’s industry-leading Next-Generation Firewalls and Unified Threat Management (UTM) Firewalls complement Dell’s security solutions portfolio, enabling Dell to offer customers a broader range of enterprise offerings.
Responsible for the design and development activities associated with software using a range of applicable technologies (e.g., programming languages, compilers, assemblers, debuggers, other tools) for products used in local, networked or Internet-related computer programs. Analyzes requirements and develops innovative, useful software. Modifies existing software products to add new functions, adapt to new hardware, improve performance or enhance product usability. Participates in product development in all stages from planning and design to development and testing. Completes documentation and procedures for installation and maintenance. Assists training with production of formal training material for sales/marketing.
· Leads or participates in the software development lifecycle, which includes research, new development, modification, security, correction of errors, reuse, re-engineering and maintenance of software products.
· Manages or utilizes software that is built and implemented as a product, using best-in-class development process/lifecycle management (ex: Agile, Waterfall).
· Gathers business requirements and participates in product definition and feature prioritization, including customer usability studies. Performs competitive analysis for features at a product level scope.
· Leads the testing and fixing of new or enhanced products.
· Creates technical documentation of software products/solutions. Assists with the development and review of end user and technical end user documentation.
· Drives idea generation for new software products, or for the next version of an existing product.
· Protects Intellectual property by working appropriate legal elements (ex: procurement, patents, opensource).
· Responsible for the delivery of products within budget, schedule and quality guidelines.
· Works with the team to develop, maintain, and communicate current development schedules, timelines and development status.
· Makes changes to system software to correct errors in the original implementation and creates extensions to existing programs to add new features or performance improvements.
· Designs and develops major functional or performance enhancements for existing products, or produces new software products or tools.
· Reviews requirements, specifications and designs to assure product quality; develops and implements plans and tests for product quality or performance assurance.
· Knowledge of basic principles, methods, technologies and practices of a professional/technical field.
· Apply a basic understanding of the underlying principles of a professional discipline -typically obtained through formal study.
· General knowledge of procedures and activities within own work area.
· Ability to relate actual day-to-day work to business priorities.
· Focused on learning the key aspects and duties of the job being performed
· Basic knowledge of programming languages; operating systems; firmware; BIOS; device drivers; databases; system, network, operating system, and application administration; embedded software/firmware; tools and utilities, as applicable.
· Able to code/debug simple programs using either written or verbal design specifications.
· Experience with multiple programming languages, databases, operating systems, tools and hardware platforms. Able to achieve mastery of new tools, languages and operating systems with some training and on-the-job experience.
· Familiarity with several Software Lifecycle and Quality Assurance methodologies. Able to define and document how a specific Software Lifecycle and Quality Assurance method will be used for specific projects.
· Able to participate and add value in all phases of software development: feasibility, design, implementation, integration, test and delivery.
· Undergraduate degree and 6-8 years relevant experience or Graduate degree and 2-4 years relevant experience.
· 10+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Why work for Dell?
Endless challenges and rewards. Opportunities on six continents. A team of colleagues fueled by collaboration. All this, and a company deeply committed to integrity and responsibility.
What we look for:
Integrity and Trust – Team members who ‘do the right thing’ and have courage to speak up
Intellectual Capacity – openness to learning, understanding and solving problems
Drive For Results – Team members with a ‘can do’ spirit
Adaptable – Team members who respond and adjust
-Opportunity to work with a strong brand at one of the world's largest IT solutions providers
-Dynamic, challenging, international work environment
-Exciting internal career opportunities
-Competitive compensation including bonus plans & a great benefit package
-An individual professional development plan
-Formal and informal training
About Dell Inc.:
Want to work in an environment where each day is focused on delivering time, technology, and the know-how to make the world a better place?
With a company committed to creating a diverse workforce and creating a positive, collaborative environment where everyone is valued and included?
At Dell, we believe technology is essential for human success and that it should be accessible to everyone. We are constantly evolving to better serve our customers, seize new opportunities and drive growth. Together we can change the world. Come join us.
For more information, visit us on the web at www.dell.com/careers.
Life At Dell
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Job Requisition Number: 12000XEE
Share this Job
Learn more about
careers at Dell
Get Job Alerts
About Engineering Jobs
Useful. Efficient. Effective. That’s what we create. Behind every desktop, notebook, server, training program and cloud solution is a host of talented minds. Our Engineers and the jobs they do are a special component of this group. Our Engineering professionals dream, design and produce the very products and services that have made us an industry powerhouse. Even more impressive, our Engineers allow us to rapidly respond to market changes, and remain a step ahead of our competition. In your job as an Engineer, you'll help us develop innovative designs and sustained solutions for all of our client and enterprise products produced worldwide. State-of-the-art tools. Hundreds of issued patents. And a pipeline that keeps getting stronger. They're all a testament to the level of expertise – and achievement – you can expect in an Engineering career at Dell.
To check your application
status and job cart, click here.