Engineering Manager - Emerging Technologies - Opportunity for Working Remotely
Primary Location: Denver
Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
The Emerging Technologies team within VMware IT is like a mini start-up, passionate about innovating, developing unique products using leading edge technology stack and providing delightful experiences to our colleagues and customers. We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead a highly creative and vibrant team in developing the next generation intelligent enterprise solutions. As an Engineering Manager on the team you will have the overall responsibility for building and shipping high quality applications with strong focus on product design, architecture and development. You will be responsible for finding, generating, and surfacing innovation across the suite of products spanning mobile, IoT and cognitive solutions. You will apply your knowledge in creating the foundations for the next generation smart and cloud connected systems and services that will transform the way VMware operates and serves the customers. You will team up with business stakeholders across geographic locations to prioritize innovation topics and work across cross-functional groups to develop and deliver breakthrough solutions.
What is primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
We need someone with at least 10 years of software development experience, and at least 3 years engineering manager experience, who can excel in their collaboration with colleagues, stake holders and existing engineering teams to design, develop, and publish intelligent software to a highly available infrastructure. Few other responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Responsible for leading, developing & delivering high quality software products.
- Provide technical leadership to the team by driving/guiding the design and development of major architectural components.
- Take ownership of product quality, user experience, and security - every member of the team is responsible for delivering a best-in-class product that users love.
- Actively mentor team members to help our team continue to be highly efficient and performing.
- You need to invest your time on unknown areas & new technologies and come up with innovative solutions.
- As a leader of the team you are expected to make significant, direct and high-quality contributions to the entire application life-cycle. This includes areas like microservices architecture, continuous delivery, automation testing (dev owns quality) and live monitoring of the systems.
What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- You will be expected to demonstrate ability to understand and solve deep technical issues, produce high quality software products with available engineering and infra structure resources.
- You will be expected to demonstrate leadership, people management and excellent communication skills.
- You will be expected to work in a team environment, including quickly getting up to speed with new technologies, be able to address issues fast and authoritatively.
- You will be regularly evaluated on the quality of the product and code your team builds.
- You will be expected to demonstrate maturity and preparedness in dealing with the team conflicts, critical situations and reporting updates to leadership team.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- Pick up existing portfolio/projects and tech stack and be ready to contribute.
- Work towards increasing our colleague’s experience by bringing tech rich innovative solutions.
- Identify colleagues challenges, explore possible solutions, lead your team to develop simple yet unique products, solving the problem identified.
- Own the product life cycle end to end, including major/minor version upgrades.
- Continuous coaching and mentoring of young talent.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
Hiring manager for this role is Sreekanth Indireddy, Director, Emerging Technologies. His team currently consists of 25 developers spanning across 3 geographic locations, and are working on Cognitive, IoT, Web and Mobile solutions. Sreekanth Indireddy has over 22 years of experience in software product development, managing and mentoring engineering teams.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our pantries
This job requisition is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsored by VMware
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Product Dev Management
Experience: Manager and Professional
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-01-15
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job ID: R2017593