Senior Director & Associate General Counsel
Primary Location: Austin,Texas
Atlanta,GA,USA; Boston,Massachusetts,USA; Seattle,Washington,USA; Reston,VA,USA; New York City,New York,USA; Palo Alto,California,USA; Chicago,Illinois,USA;
Senior Director & Associate General Counsel, Commercial Legal Group - Americas Lead
Job Location: This role is based out of the following VMware offices and open to candidates in the surrounding areas. Locations include: Austin, Texas; Reston, Virginia; Boston, Massachusetts; Seattle, Washington; New York City, New York; Palo Alto, California; Chicago, Illinois; Atlanta, Georgia; Broomfield, Colorado. There will be flexibility to work remotely as well.
About the Legal Team
In the VMware Legal Department, you will find a team committed to building a community where great people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, collaboration, active learning and giving back. We are a group of dedicated legal, compliance and government relations professionals who are enthusiastically committed to understanding and supporting every aspect of our fast-growing company. VMware’s market-leading and evolving businesses routinely present complex legal challenges that demand creative solutions and allow each member of the department to impact the business. The legal team believes in maintaining the highest standards of business and professional conduct, while providing our clients with innovative and pragmatic advice to strengthen and enhance VMware’s market position. If you are looking for a legal department where you can innovate, collaborate and lead, all while providing real world solutions to complex problems for the company, then you have found the place.
Job Role & Responsibility
We are seeking an experienced, dynamic attorney and people manager to lead the Americas team within the Commercial Legal Group (CLG). As a key member of our CLG leadership team, you will lead and manage legal professionals on the Americas Region Legal team, serve as trusted advisor to our Senior Vice President and General Manager for VMware’s Americas business, and support the day-to-day initiatives and long-term strategies of VMware.
This position will report directly to the VP & Deputy General Counsel, Commercial Legal Group.
- Providing practical and business-oriented legal advice to the Senior Vice President and General Manager for VMware’s Americas business and other internal clients across the Americas;
- Serving as a member of the extended leadership team for the Americas business;
- Hiring, managing, mentoring and leading a geographically-dispersed team of talented, motivated and client- and customer-focused legal professionals;
- Investing in the nurturing and development of our people, to make it easier to attract and retain top talent, to broaden capabilities of the team, and to prepare them to contribute at higher levels over time;
- Fostering within the CLG-Americas team a focus on proactive client service, a customer-first mindset, and practical, smart risk-taking;
- Promoting company and organizational values within the CLG-Americas team and a culture of integrity across the Americas business;
- Developing a strategy and roadmap for delivering gold standard commercial legal support for the region, as we scale the team to support the company’s continued growth as a multi-cloud leader;
- Partnering with our Global Legal Services group, to ensure collaborative and seamless transactional support for our customers throughout the region;
- Supporting the sales process by acting as an escalation point for our front-line negotiating team in the Americas in relation to transactional support, and supporting select negotiations directly, including negotiation, advising on risk, and devising creative and practical legal solutions to meet business needs;
- Supporting compliance in day-to-day activities in the Americas, including providing training and counseling to sales professionals and driving compliance initiatives;
- Collaborating with colleagues in other geographies and throughout the legal department to provide quality support and present a coordinated “One Team” approach when advising on the range of issues that arise for the Americas business;
- Staying abreast of significant developments in the laws affecting the Americas business, and making colleagues and clients aware of those developments, to help the company remain prepared to operate legally in the face of constant changes in the legal landscape;
- Hiring and managing outside counsel to support matters affecting the Americas business;
- Developing metrics and leveraging data analytics for management of the delivery of legal support in the Americas;
- Benchmarking internally and externally to stay on top of trends and best practices;
- Leading and/or supporting special projects within the legal department, including those focused on scaling, improving and enhancing processes, policies and transactional support.
We are seeking a forward-thinking, strategic, broad-based business attorney, who demonstrates the following:
- You possess strong leadership skills, with a collaborative and inclusive mindset; value diverse perspectives that challenge the status quo and believe an inclusive team is a better team; and are experienced in bringing people together and driving positive change;
- You possess excellent negotiating, drafting, and influencing skills, and have expert knowledge across a wide range of commercial contracting matters;
- You are a strong critical and innovative thinker who possesses excellent business sense and judgment;
- You are relentless in the pursuit of continuous improvement and committed to transforming the way the team operates;
- You are a practical and enthusiastic problem-solver who is confident, mature and calm under fire and can work independently in a dynamic, fast-changing environment;
- You are an excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to influence outcomes;
- You are a well-rounded, engaging and personable individual who encourages others and provides thought leadership for a growing technology business;
- You have strong people management skills with an ability to guide and mentor the team as required;
- You possess strong stakeholder management and interpersonal skills, with proven ability to build consensus, create momentum, and work cross-functionally with other stakeholder groups;
- You have strong organizational and presentation skills;
- You demonstrate the highest degree of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
Our team looks for individuals who are passionate about technology, innovate in everything they do, and thrive when they work with a team toward a shared goal. In addition to the above, we would like you to have:
- Experience practicing intellectual property law and/or one or more areas of law besides commercial transactional support;
- Prior in house experience with a company that transitioned to a SaaS/Subscription business model, and/or have worked with a company in the IT sector that primarily delivers SaaS/Subscription services.
Required Experience & Qualifications:
- Minimum of 15 years of experience as a practicing attorney, including at least five years supporting businesses in the technology space
- Minimum of five years of experience in a corporate law department
- Minimum of five years of experience managing a team of legal professionals
- Experience working successfully in a cross-cultural, cross functional, high performance team
- Experience working in a complex, matrixed organization and with all levels of management, consulting with key stakeholders.
- JD from an accredited U.S. law school and are a member in good standing of a U.S. State bar
“This job requisition is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsored by VMware.”
Category : Legal
Subcategory: Legal Counsel
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-07-13
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job ID: R2111532