To learn more about how Dell Technologies is supporting our communities, customers, partners and team members, please visit our COVID-19 response site.
Greenplum Database Engineering Lead
Primary Location: Beijing, Hebei
Additional Location(s): Beijing, China
Greenplum Database Engineering Lead
Greenplum is the de-facto standard of the open-source, distributed database.Leading cloud vendors across the globe have all provided distributions. With the next wave of digitization, Greenplum-based distributed databases will become the center of gravities in the evolving cloud infrastructures.
After the Pivotal acquisition, the Greenplum Open Source Software (OSS) community is now backed up VMware. The community is led by a group of technologists from not only VMware Greenplum but also other tech giants like Alibaba Cloud and Tencent Cloud.
This role will directly report to the Greenplum China Business Unit (BU) Head, providing technical advisories on the strategies of the distributed open-source database and development of world-class database kernel teams. Keep in mind that a VMware BU can often be as impactful as many listed companies or startups.
The spectrum for this role can be wide. The candidate can participate in the design and develop the next generation of MPP (Massively Parallel Processing), shared-nothing database.This candidate can also take responsibility for developing the next generation database technologists.
- Be a thought leader in the distributed open-source database industry and solve world-class hard problems
- Deliver robust, fault-tolerant production outcomes and elevate those outcomes to become industrial standards
- Participate in the architecture, design, and development of core features to resolve real customer pain points and requirements
- Interact with members of the Greenplum teams across the US and China to better align with each other
- May coach and develop talented engineers
Desired Skills/ Experience:
- Passions to create technical innovation impacts that will last and become essential chapters of the textbooks of the next-gen technologists
- Strong academic and/or industrial track record
- Rich system-level programming experiences, such as signals, threads, memory, network, semaphores, and IPC
- Deep understanding of database principles or distributed data platforms such as Hadoop
- Demonstrated troubleshooting skills
- Team player and self-motivated for success
- First line management experience will be a plus
This position is eligible for JoinTeamTanzu referral campaign
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2020-08-12
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job ID: R2009810