Senior Engineer - Distributed Systems Cloud Security
Primary Location: Bellevue,Washington
VMware Secure State is a hard-working, diverse product organization building a SaaS cloud security platform to deliver the future of cloud security and governance. We live and breathe distributed systems, horizontally scaled microservice architectures, graph data models, security-focused data analytics and data science, cloud services, and high availability designs all with integrated instrumentation and logging. We are seeking capable problem solvers and critical thinkers with growth mindsets to join our team. While we have a high bar for quality and performance, we also expect our work to be balanced, fun and fulfilling.
We're looking to add a senior distributed systems software engineer to our team. You will put major new systems in place for Identity and Access Management visibility, analysis and security, while making expert decisions on pivotal technical and design choices based on operational considerations, constraints of our current product and customer-facing product roadmap. Subsequently you must be able to design, write and deploy mature services into a public cloud and Kubernetes-based SaaS. Your work will involve both horizontal scale and data ingestion and storage challenges. You will take a technical leadership role and promote and sustain a culture of engineering excellence. This position presents a long-term opportunity to build and lead a team dedicated to this ongoing statement of work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build new backend services that collect, store, analyze and correlate IAM policies from different cloud providers.
- Architect, design and implement complex, distributed platforms for collecting and storing data, scaling parallel algorithms, etc.
- Analyze fault-tolerance and high availability issues, performance and scale challenges, and solve them.
- Pinpoint problems, instrument relevant components as needed, and ultimately implement solutions.
- Understand trade-offs between consistency, durability and costs to build solutions which can meet the demands of rapidly growing services.
- Deploy and ensure operational readiness of the services, define and meet commitments to our customers regarding availability and performance.
- Lead and mentor a team of developers working on these services.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- 7+ years industry experience designing, building and supporting large scale systems in production.
- Proficiency in Internet and Network Security protocols especially as used in Public Cloud application and service deployments.
- In-depth knowledge of IAM constructs, architectures, languages and policies.
- Ability to build tools to analyze IAM policies against a set of resources to determine available access.
- Experience building data sets to facilitate anomaly detection of anomalous behavior with regards to IAM.
- Excellent understanding of low-level operating systems concepts including multi-threading, memory management, networking and storage, performance and scale.
- Strong CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems.
- Systems programming skills including multi-threading, concurrency, etc. in a compiled language like Golang, C++ or Java.
- Track record of identifying and implementing creative solutions.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure - AWS, Azure or Google Cloud.
- BS in Computer Science; Masters or PhD Preferred.
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-04-07
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job ID: R2101550