Primary Location: Bangalore
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
CloudHealth by VMware is the global market leader in Cloud Cost Management and Optimization, and the most trusted software platform used to accelerate business transformation in the cloud. You’re looking for an opportunity to work for a company whose software is utilized by 350,000 enterprise and business customers (which includes 98% of Fortune 500) company and significantly impacts every industry. We are searching for dedicated and versatile engineers, who are passionate about working in a company whose culture is fanatical about innovation and fixated on delivering software products that solve our customers’ most challenging business needs. As a senior engineer, you’ll have the opportunity to make significant and direct impact on our products, platform, and solve some of the most complex challenges in cloud computing.
You have an analytical mind and a passion for the craft of software engineering. Technologies come and go, but that excites you because of the endless possibilities it creates. You want to successfully drive definition, architecture, and timely delivery of software in an Agile environment. You’re excited by Data Analysis, Systems Management, Cloud Computing, and the customer experience in everything you construct. You’re looking for a collaborative environment whose teams care about the product they are creating, how they create it, and the impact it has on customers’ business objectives. You’re looking for an opportunity to be on the forefront of the cloud revolution and possess strong analytical skills and the ability to quickly ramp on new technologies in a client facing environment. You look to learn about technologies outside of your realm of expertise from your teammates and are passionate about teaching them likewise.
What is primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
CloudHealth manages 11B USD of cloud infrastructure spend right now. Our goal is to double this. We need someone who can collaborate with Product Management and existing engineering teams to design, develop, and publish software supporting a highly available, fault tolerant, multi cloud SaaS platform. You will need to investigate software problems that have been found by customers and develop code changes to fix those problems.
As part of the platform/multi-cloud-financial-management team you will be involved in writing code, design and development of scalable software. You will participate in all phases of the software development cycle as part of a Scrum team. Work in multi-functional agile teams to regularly experiment, iterate, and deliver on new product objectives with end-to-end responsibility for your team’s goals.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- You will design, develop and build application functions (using Java) that can be accessed via a REST API. When a service such as the user authorization service reaches capacity, you will be expected to leverage cloud elasticity techniques to scale it.
- You will be expected to showcase your experience with data stores and containerized applications code by looking up a customer's mapping of a user's authorized privileges. The data store could be a parquet file on AWS S3, AWS DynamoDB, Redis, MySQL, or another data service such as an LDAP service.
- You will be regularly evaluated on the quality of the product you create and the code you write to ensure continued advancement of your technical skills in an environment that looks to expand them.
- You will be monitored on your ability to design and write code to extend our existing microservices and develop new microservices as needed.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
As part of the platform and multi-cloud financial management team, you will:
- Collaborate with the Executive Team, Product Management, Architects, and existing engineering teams to design, develop, and publish software supporting a highly available, fault-tolerant SaaS platform.
- Produce software designs to support long-term maintainability and extensibility of code.
- Produce high quality and well-documented code in an automated CI/CD environment.
- Contribute to relevant open source projects.
- Participate in all phases of the software development cycle as part of a Scrum team.
- Work in multi-functional agile teams to regularly experiment, iterate, and deliver on new product objectives with end-to-end responsibility for your team’s goals.
- Obsess over quality in the code you write and the product you create.
- Advance your technical and interpersonal skills in an environment that looks to expand them.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Sriram Balasubramanian, Director R&D. Sriram has almost 2 decades of industry experience starting at Sun microsystems and working with VMware for the last 10 years. He has worked for CloudHealth by VMware for over 2 years. Prior to CloudHealth, Sriram led Cost management for vRealize Suite ( vROPS Costing and vRealize Business for Cloud).
Sriram currently leads our R&D Engineering team which consists of 45 engineers focused on multi-cloud financial management, platform and tactical engineering aspects of CloudHealth.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our pantries
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2020-11-23
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job ID: R2017466