Senior Engineering DevOps Consultant
Primary Location: EGY
As a seasoned System Engineer in the newly formed VMware Modernization Center of Excellence (M-CoE), part of WWCC CoE, the system engineering consultant will be involved in the product and software engineering process by supporting the global cross-functional team with designing, deploying, configuring, and maintaining internal and external environments, tools & toolchains for CI/CD, as well as releasing, testing, and deploying products & code to customer environments.
One of your key responsibilities, as part of M-CoE, will be to define & form a Modernization System Engineering function and practice by standardizing and developing standardized system engineering & DevOps methodology, including tooling, documentation, runbooks, checklists, instructions, guides, reports, and plans for assessment, design, deploy, migrate, modernize, and transform of complex solutions that will be used for thousands of VMware customers by the center, partners, and customers.
The engineers will be communicating directly with customers, development team, partners, and stakeholders, facilitating and supporting smooth provisioning, setup, code releases, deployment, configuration, automated testing, and verification on customer environments.
- Solid understanding of the software development, testing and system engineering lifecycle, DevOps practices, Agile (Scrum, Kanban in particular) and waterfall processes and methodologies
- 6+ years of strong hands-on system administration experience with Linux/Windows operating systems, virtualization and IP networking (IP, TCP, DNS, NTP, IGMP, DHCP, firewalls, load balancers, and proxies)
- Experience with system engineering/administration/DevOps for product or custom software development
- Experience with setting up and working with Cloud Native and DevOps technologies, principles and practices like self-service, source control management, declarative infrastructure and CI/CD
- Experience with VMware technology – SDDC, vRealize, VCF, or NSX...
- Experience with Bash / PowerShell scripting
- Experience with configuration management tools, such as Ansible, Terraform, Puppet, or SaltStack
- Good understanding of web applications, protocols and technologies – HTTP, REST, SOAP, XML
- Comfortable working in distributed, multinational, and multi-cultural environments
- Autonomous, pro-active, and goal oriented
- Excellent communication skills in English, both speaking and writing
What additionally would be helpful for your success:
- Git/GitLab and Atlassian suite (Jira, Confluence, Bamboo, Stash), Ansible, Terraform, Jenkins, and the VMware product suite
- Experience with design, configuration, and management of large and complex data center infrastructure, systems, and operations
- Additional language is a plus
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Manager and Professional
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-02-01
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job ID: R2101293