Senior Associate Contracts Manager - Opportunity for Working Remotely
Primary Location: Detroit,Michigan
This role is fully remote and can be done in any of the states posted.
About our Legal Team:
VMware’s Legal Department is a global team of dedicated legal and compliance professionals who share a passion and enthusiasm to both understand and successfully navigate every aspect of VMware’s fast-growing business. We are Fearless Legal Innovators, we lead with strategic solutions, inspire an ethical culture and drive VMware’s success. In November 2018, VMware Legal was honored with winning the Financial Times Intelligent Business Award for Contracting for making tangible improvements in VMware’s business through better contract management.
Role: Senior Associate Contracts Manager
Reporting to: Senior Contracts Manager, Global Legal Services AMER, based in Colorado
VMware has an opening for a talented, self-motivated Senior Associate Contracts Manager to join VMware’s Global Legal Services Organization. You will be part of a high-performing, customer-focused group of legal professionals working collaboratively in a fast-paced, growing business with particular focus on large Cloud transformational deals as well as SaaS-based transactions. While the primary job responsibility is to provide negotiation & transactional support to our customers in the United States, given that we are a Global Team, you may be asked to support negotiations in other locales. Our mighty team of contracting professionals work in close collaboration with our attorneys, Sales team, Deal Management Team, Finance and Operations to ensure best-in-class, seamless support to our customers, partners and third-party vendors. Individuals applying for this job: (i) are comfortable working independently with a high degree of autonomy; (ii) are willing to collaborate extensively with their team members to support transactions and to look for opportunities to optimize how we operate to scale support; (iii) display an aptitude for digging into problems and finding creative solutions; and (iv) have strong critical and strategic thinking skills.
- Draft, review and negotiate a broad range of agreements, ranging from Cloud transformational technology agreements, various forms of software licenses, Software as a Service, support and maintenance, professional services contracts, data privacy addenda and non-disclosure agreements. You will advise on liabilities, legal restrictions and risks associated with such agreements.
- Review contractual documents to ensure adherence to company policies, including revenue recognition issues.
- Interface with appropriate staff to understand business and financial issues involved with contract negotiations.
- Manage internal communications, facilitate escalations and approvals, address queries with our customers & internal stakeholders.
- Participate in daily and/or frequent interactions with management, business and technical management, functional peer groups, customers and partners.
- Collaborate and partner effectively with the business, sales account executives, Finance and Deal Management Team, including providing advice and counsel to Sales professionals on legal, financial and commercial issues related to a broad range of commercial transactions.
- Assist in development and maintenance of various contract and policy forms, such as Playbooks, Contract templates, Policy documents, Negotiation positioning, Training & Lessons learned, research updates to selected forms.
- Execute contractual documents individually negotiated.
- Mentor and train legal admins and/or contracts administrators.
- Act as a fiduciary for the company driving compliance in day-to-day sales activities, including providing training and counseling to sales professionals; and
- Participate in special projects within the legal department as assigned, including efforts to develop, implement and enhance processes and policies that improve transaction velocity, efficiency, automation and standardization.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, law degree is a plus, but not necessary.
- 5+ years of experience in reviewing, drafting, managing and negotiating a wide variety of international commercial contracts in the IT sector, with a strong emphasis on software licensing, including SaaS agreements and professional services/project implementation agreements (including negotiating from the customer’s form agreement). Solid understanding of legal concepts and contractual terms with excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- In-house legal experience is preferred.
- Solid knowledge of data protection and data security issues.
- Excellent negotiator with strong influencing skills that can plan, manage and conduct negotiations on a non-confrontational win-win basis.
- Strong business acumen and a familiarity with GAAP rules and revenue recognition issues.
- Strong customer service skillset.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and intercultural skills and a strong sense of team work.
- Must possess excellent judgment and be able to work with only little supervision and juggle various priorities, in a fast-paced high-growth environment; and
- Good leadership skills, with the highest degree of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
“This job requisition is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsored by VMware.”
Category : Legal
Experience: Manager and Professional
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-05-05
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job ID: R2107348