To learn more about how Dell Technologies is supporting our communities, customers, partners and team members, please visit our COVID-19 response site.
Lead Government Technologist, UK Public Sector
Primary Location: Staines, Surrey
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 350,000 enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data centre to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data centre to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace.
Why work for our Division?
The Public Sector team within VMware UKI is a high-energy, passionate team of sales professionals with a passionate desire to succeed and drive the digital transformation within UK public sector. Although you are an individual contributor within the business, you will be an integral part of a team with a strong identity, and a reputation for a high standard of work and achievement. You will have the opportunity to craft and execute on your business plan through you own efforts and through the management of your virtual team.
UK Public Sector is continually evolving and has changed dramatically in the past 3 years in terms of its digital strategy and transformation, the desire to move to cloud and the evolution in technology adoption, and as such, you will be skilled in the translation between digital business goals for a public services department and the technology solutions to deliver these goals.
We are looking for a Lead Government Technologist, today VMware relies on System Integrators (SISO) to build the long term strategic technical vision with our key government customers across a complex multi-vendor / multi technology landscape. For VMware to be credible and act as trusted advisors to our CxO’s across our customer base, we need to demonstrate our understanding of their heterogenous domain. If we are to ‘Dream Bigger’ and build many more multi million-pound opportunities to help the long term VMware vision of $20bn revenue in 5 years, changing the way we do business within UK Public Services and having those fundamental technical and operational skills is critical to our future success.
Our matrix structure of Business Unit specialists and aligned Sales Engineers are required to be mainly product focused, so we have a gap in our team’s capabilities. If we are drive larger deals with VMware, taking a more prominent role e.g. acting as a prime delivery partner, the Government Technologist role will help us to grow a $2/3M deal into a $5/10+M.
They will operate as an integral member of the UK Public Sector leadership team and extended UK public sector leadership team, responsible for owning and driving the technical community within the UK Public Sector team, ensuring activities and initiatives are “joined up” across the business line areas, the primary focus is on our large strategic pursuits and be an integral part of the sales team and the “Big Bet’s” for growth we place (aspiration is to have at least 4 per annum $15m+ opportunities).
They will also develop and maintain relationships at the C level across our key accounts and help shape our messaging, long term strategic technical transformation of the customer and join up and co-lead the sales campaigns to drive large deal success. They will develop and create Reference Architectures across large government organisations and be the blueprint of how we sell, they will identify the pathway from product versus outcome.
- To utilise existing C Level relationships and or attend Customer opportunity / strategy meetings to understand and articulate business and technical strategy for VMware and the customer.
- Provide qualification of designs or opportunities and produce technical architecture/design documentation in line with the customer long term strategic direction
- Work closely with Partners / SISO’s to keep up-to-date with current and future technologies, products and strategies to manage the ‘cradle to grave’ solution provisions cycle.
- Act as Design Authority for nominated key accounts
- Work as technical designer on enterprise scale, mission-critical customer projects
- Work with peers internally and across industry and within the customer to advise and recommend on future technology and services
- Research technology and deliver associated white papers to promote VMwares offerings.
- Engage in, and manage, Customer demonstrations and Proofs of Concept
- Development of service offerings, utilising newly released products having ensured that functionality claims are valid.
- Ensure that proposed solutions are valid and meet Customer contractual obligations
- Represent VMWare at partner boards and forums, attend relevant events and conferences and act as a point of technical escalation within the business.
- Hold a comprehensive understanding of the key vendor offerings, value proposition and the competition in order that VMware can build differentiating propositions to meet the needs of our customers.
- Maintain high level of industry awareness through training, conferences and self-development, and ensure this knowledge is shared effectively across the business, using this knowledge to help identify and prioritise investment decisions.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience Required:
- Executive presence and credibility
- High level of interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- High energy and passion for the sector and the team’s growth plans and success.
- Stable and consistent work history
- Security Clearance (SC and or DV) preferred (required SC if you don’t have it today)
- Graduate level or relevant technical experience, including experience as Lead Technical Consultant
- Ability to design in-depth, complex technical solutions
- Relevant industry leading qualification or accreditation in one or more technology
- In-depth knowledge of IT Infrastructure technology and its business application
- Demonstrable ability to provide input into commercial/technical documents and to develop solution specific business cases
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to present at large internal and external audiences and at board level.
- Experience of producing industry White Papers
- Ability to lead and organise a large virtual technical team, with good negotiation skills and people management skills
- Industry leading knowledge in specialist Technology area.
- Own and lead the engagement with the CIO/CDIO, CTO and CISO for each of the named large accounts
- Delivery of quality solutions to our customers
- Successful handover or technology to internal or customer support functions
- Develop and grow personal relationships and influence with departmental leaders
- High energy, motivated self-starter with strong leadership qualities
- Match the VMware solution to the customer’s business needs, challenges, and technical requirements
- Experience in working within a Partner environment, and with large complex SISO’s
- Significant Field Experience and comfort level working with C-level executives with partners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, additional language skills are an advantage
- Proven experience in the creation and execution of partner plans and programs.
- Solid analytical, as well re reporting and presentation skills
- Proven track record of consistently meeting or exceeding assigned goals and targets and delivering large complex transformational opportunities.
Category : Sales
Subcategory: Field Sales
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2020-09-17
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job ID: R2014454