Linux/Storage Engineer - Opportunity for Working Remotely
Primary Location: Heredia,Heredia
We are seeking a Linux/Storage Engineer to join our cloud operations team. As a Linux/Storage Engineer I you work as part of a team that provides operational support for systems, services, and requirements in cloud infrastructure environments with a focus on Storage as a Service.
To be successful you will need a strong technical orientation; be a creative problem solver; be motivated to advance in the field; and work well in a service-oriented team.
Special Technical Knowledge/Skills:
- 2+ year of experience building/operating of production systems
- Experience with Linux operating systems
- Experience with storage and network support.
- Knowledge of data storage protocols including CIFS, HTTP/S, iSCSI, NFS and S3.
- Knowledge of DNS, LDAP, NFS, SMTP, Linux Account Management a plus
- Knowledge of VMware NSX is a plus
- Experience with VMWare vSphere v4.x/v5.x/v6.x/v7.x is a plus
- Some experience with scripting or automation languages (bash/perl/python/powercli/ruby/go)
- Familiar with Configuration Management tools like Chef, Puppet, Ansible
- Ability to handle periodic on-call duty
- Basic knowledge of network protocols and algorithms
- Good knowledge of container technology (Docker, Kubernetes)
Other skills and qualifications:
- Document concise pre-deployment and post-deployment plans and review with team for all configuration changes
- Make recommendations based on knowledge and research
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; including documentation
- Demonstrate ability to perform well in a dynamic environment, with on-time delivery
- Demonstrate ability to use problem solving techniques such as root cause analysis to resolve issues
- Demonstrate ability to write and present effective materials, including presentations, status reporting, technical diagrams and flowcharts
- Ability to follow and adhere to policies, procedures and standards related to network, storage and cloud management
- Ability to collaborate with a team working across multiple locations
- Apply attained experiences and knowledge in solving problems that are complex in scope requiring in-depth evaluation
- Operate expansive production cloud environments requiring 24/7 accessibility
- Ability to use scripting languages to automate tasks and gather data
- Implements solutions for well-defined technical problems with limited ambiguity
- Takes guidance to complete project goals under general supervision
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide feedback through documented recommendations for the design and implementation of existing solutions
- Perform performance analysis, proactive troubleshooting, continual improvement and capacity planning of production Storage Environments.
- Participate in programs to deploy pre-GA products/codes in production and provide direct feedback to product development teams
- Review entire environment and execute initiatives to reduce failures, defects and improving overall performance
- Perform tasks that are often unstructured and address issues that are less defined requiring new perspectives and creative approaches
- Deploy and maintain network, storage and server infrastructure for a production cloud environments that requires 24/7 accessibility.
- Leverage automation framework to improve processes, automate deployment, and improve manageability of environment.
- Develop and execute automated tests to validate solutions and environments
- Follow proper testing and validation of release that go from development to staging to production environments.
- Perform troubleshooting analysis and implement fixes to ensure availability SLAs are met
- Strictly follows the applicable processes including but not limited to change , Incident and Problem Management when working with the production environment.
- Manage work ticket queues: input, update and close tickets as work is completed
- Works on other technical projects as required
Education / Certification:
- Bachelor or Master Degree preferably in Computer Science, Informatics, Mathematics or equivalent work experience
- Relevant Technology Certificates (VMware, Cisco, Linux and EMC) are a plus
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP) is a plus
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Site Reliability
Experience: Manager and Professional
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-03-09
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job ID: R2100328