Principal Field Service Engineer
- McLean, Virginia
We believe that progress lives at the intersection of technology and humanity, and that our role is to bring innovation to people everywhere to drive progress around the world. Every member of our team plays a critical role in bringing our purpose to life — through our work, passion and commitment to do the absolute best we can for our company, our customers and for each other.
What makes a successful Product Services team member?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Principal Field Service Engineer
Location: McLean, VA
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities.
We’re proud to be in the solutions business at Dell. And our business solutions are built on deep analysis and insight. Our Business Operations team within Business Support develops solutions to current and future challenges. We support activities ranging from marketing and manufacturing to maintenance and more. We define scope and objectives based on a thorough understanding of end users, business needs and processes. From analyzing, evaluating and documenting requirements through to specifying solutions, we strive to improve processes and maximize potential.
As the Field Service Engineer with Dell, your primary responsibility will be to visit customer sites to perform break-fix operations and assure customer satisfaction through prompt case closure and customer communication.
What you can expect:
- An introduction to the storage industry, best practices and methodologies and the Dell way of doing business
- Hands-on work with Dell products and platforms, operating systems and storage infrastructure tools
- The opportunity to gain technical certifications, both Dell and industry-wide
Your principal duty will be to learn, understand and begin routinely performing the following customer engineering responsibilities:
- Installation and servicing Dell hardware & software under the guidance of an assigned mentor
- Learn the basics of an install cycle: Performance of pro-active maintenance according to established procedures, adherence to proper escalation procedures and keys to success
- Perform part replacements as directed by the technical support lab. This includes the timely and accurate submission of all associated documentation, part return within 24 hours of the event
- Close all cases at the completion of an event
- You understand the importance of a strong sense of urgency, communicating effectively and having a keen attention to detail
- You like to have fun and approach your work with passion and enthusiasm
- Assure complete customer satisfaction at the assigned accounts by adherence to the following: Prompt onsite arrival time, technical expertise, knowledge of customer environment, professionalism, and periodic visits as needed
What you can learn:
- How one of the world’s largest technology companies serves its customers through timely communication and best in class service
- How to be a productive team member on a virtual, globally dispersed team that is leading and influencing all aspects of our candidate experience and employment brand worldwide
- How to lead through influence
Must Have Requirements:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of professional IT experience with a Bachelor's Degree in a technical discipline
- Experience in client facing roles
- Ability to Travel, be on call at select times, work OT hours and have a reliable automobile to arrive at customer locations
- Must have the ability to lift 30-40 lbs. when necessary
Dell is a collective of customer-obsessed, industry-leading visionaries. At our core is a commitment to diversity, sustainability and our communities. We offer unparalleled growth and development opportunities for our team members. We believe that technology is essential for driving human progress, and we’re committed to providing that technology to people and organizations everywhere, so they can transform the way they work and live.
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.
Job Family: Product-Services Engineering Services Job ID: R045178
Global Sales at Dell
We believe that technology is essential for driving human progress, and we’re committed to providing that technology to people and organizations everywhere so they can transform the way they work and live. Join our sales team and be a part of our story.Learn More About Global Sales
Learn what it's like to work in the McLean Office.Explore this location
Rewards & Development
It's simple. We believe in rewarding our team members for a job well-done and investing in our team member's professional development filling the majority of our open positions internally.
Health & Wellness
As part of our overall rewards, we offer benefits programs designed to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. These benefits are based on your location, so please ask your recruiter for more details.
Dell’s Connected Workplace program offers new ways to work and enables eligible team members to choose the style that best fulfills their needs, both in their job and their personal life.
You may be eligible for other programs in your location including employee purchase program, paid time away from work, financial and savings programs and more. Talk to your recruiter for more details on what benefits programs are available in your location.
Our culture is defined by our values and made real every day by how we work and lead. We know our culture is the foundation for all we’ve achieved, and for all the success ahead of us. Don't take it just from us – see what our employees say in our annual "Tell Dell" results.
- 90% My leader cares about my well-being both professionally and personally.
- 93% I am proud that I never have to worry about Dell Technologies showing up in a headline damaging our ethical reputation.
- 90% My job means more to me than just a paycheck and benefits
- 94% Believe flexible work arrangements (e.g., working remote, mobile, telework, etc.) at Dell Technologies contribute positively to our performance as a company.