To learn more about how Dell Technologies is supporting our communities, customers, partners and team members, please visit our COVID-19 response site.
5G Baseband Algorithm Prime
Primary Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Additional Location(s): Ottawa, Canada
Baseband Algorithm Prime
Will be remote until our facilities re-open in Ottawa
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities.
From applied research to advanced engineering, Dell’s 5G R&D team will design and develop ground-breaking products & solutions, as a first-ever go-to-market for Dell in this space. It’s a fascinating field of work. You will be involved in assessing the competition, developing technology and products and generating intellectual property. Your contributions will drive product architecture and implementation in support of building something from the ground up, all while working with colleagues across the business to ensure Dell products always lead the way.
If you’re interested in taking part in a once in a career opportunity, Dell is looking for a Baseband Algorithm Prime with advanced expertise in 5G Radio, a key member of the baseband team together having overall ownership for the layer-1 through layer-3 solution for the Distribution Unit and Central unit, to be part of a brand new, built from the ground up, high powered Ottawa R&D team. The team will be responsible for designing, developing and implementing a technology new to Dell for addressing the demands of the 5G Radio subsystem for operators and to help our customers to exploit this significant market evolution. The candidate for this role will have significant work experience in 5G wireless development, 4G R&D, mobile systems, and 3GPP as well as a strong background in baseband algorithms and mapping software functions to hardware.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Own the baseband algorithms for your section of the L1, L2, and L3 solution, matching your experience and interest
- Part of a baseband algorithm core team covering from physical layer all the way through session management and mobility inclusive
- Own the baseband algorithms for 4G LTE and 5G NR (FDD FR1) radio access technologies
- Own the real-time software architecture for the Distribution Unit and Central unit
- Own functional specifications for software residing on the DU and CU
- Manage software requirements
- Advise on custom hardware accelerators
- Recommend distributed processing and data models
- Know and apply commercial practices to evaluate and optimize reliability
- Understand and embed security
- Simulate, design, and deliver effective innovative energy efficiency solutions
- Anticipate, analyze, and simulate where appropriate implications to software, real-time, data transfer requirements, code and data footprint, network performance, reliability, energy efficiency, standards compliance, and regulatory compliance
Additional Responsibilities May Include:
- Advise and drive where needed the planning, organization, execution, and visualization of board bring-up, integration, and optimization
- Evaluate and advise on commercial technology, vendor reference designs, third-party IP, partner designs, and OEM proposals
- Engage solutions that manage cost while maintaining quality, performance, and yield
- Collaborate closely throughout the development process to jointly establish top-level product characteristics and technology selections
- Ensure consistent high standards across in-house design, contracted design work, third-party partnerships, and OEM solutions
- Drive solutions aligned with 3GPP and O-RAN Alliance (O-RAN) specifications for 4G and 5G networks in the open RAN ecosystem
- Leader at the center of internal teams and many different external collaboration models ranging from contacted design, co-design partnerships, to turn-key OEM sourcing of broadband 4G and 5G radio products
- Guide product definition to efficient and effective solutions with compelling customer value in real network deployments
Essential Skills and Expertise/Experience
- Proven record of working on large mobile network systems either as a member of a network equipment manufacturer or as a radio technology provider
- Expert in baseband algorithms
- Experienced in real-time and interconnect modelling
- Familiar with commercial practices to evaluate and optimize reliability
- Familiar with security in Ethernet, IP, and remote load management
- Familiar with the CPU, DSP, GPU, and NPU third-party device market
- Detailed understanding of 3GPP specifications and worldwide spectrum and telecommunications regulations
- Wireless expert with strong hands-on technical skills and the demonstrated ability to work across disparate groups including sales, operations, product management, and engineering
- Organized, goal-oriented technical leader to lead, follow, and effectively collaborate with knowledgeable development peers and business partners.
- Knowledge in 4G and 5G Radio and/or subsystems architecture, implementation and ecosystem
Minimum Experience and Education
- 7+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Typically require 5+ years diversified experience in the mobile communications baseband algorithms and their software realization on hardware
Dell Technologies is a unique family of businesses that helps organizations and individuals build their digital future and transform how they work, live and play—providing customers with the industry’s broadest and most innovative technology and services portfolio. We value our customers, winning together, innovation, results and integrity. Grow your career with a highly competitive salary, bonus programs, world-class benefits and unparalleled learning and development opportunities— all at a company that is proud to be diverse and inclusive. Learn more on how we are closing the diversity gap here.
Job ID: R065524