To learn more about how Dell Technologies is supporting our communities, customers, partners and team members, please visit our COVID-19 response site.
5G Platform Architect
Primary Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Additional Location(s): Ottawa, Canada
5G Platform Architect
Will be remote until our facilities re-open in Ottawa
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities.
From applied research to advanced engineering, Dell’s 5G R&D team will design and develop ground-breaking products & solutions, as a first-ever go-to-market for Dell in this space. It’s a fascinating field of work. You will be involved in assessing the competition, developing technology and products and generating intellectual property. Your contributions will drive product architecture and implementation in support of building something from the ground up, all while working with colleagues across the business to ensure Dell products always lead the way.
If you’re interested in taking part in a once in a career opportunity, Dell is looking for a 5G Platform Architect with advanced expertise in ORAN/Cloud/Open Stack, 5G Radio Standards, having overall ownership for the platform used in the RAN, and to be part of a brand new, built from the ground up, high powered Ottawa R&D team. The team will be responsible for designing, developing and implementing a technology new to Dell for addressing the demands of the 5G Radio subsystem for operators and to help our customers to exploit this significant market evolution. The candidate for this role will have significant work experience in 5G wireless development, 4G R&D, mobile systems, and 3GPP as well as a strong background in NFV and cloud system architectures.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Overall owner for platform architecture in the RAN. Know, communicate and document Cloud/Platform architecture and implementation aims and requirements including those derived from internal IPR, standards, technology norms and best commercial practices.
- Own functional specifications and architecture for Platform software.
- Manage software requirements.
- Own that all platform requirements are covered by verification activities and that all verification activities are allocated to designer verification or formal verification teams as appropriate.
- Own sign-off on all software verification for the platform.
- Own the definition of software regression test environments and test cases.
- Know and apply platform, carrier grade and robustness tests and measurement as it relates to platform verification.
Additional Responsibilities May Include:
- Apply NFV and cloud system architecture.
- Evaluate and recommend third-party IP blocks.
- Drive solutions aligned with 3GPP and O-RAN Alliance (O-RAN) specifications for 4G and 5G networks in the open RAN ecosystem.
- Collaborate closely throughout the development process to jointly establish top-level product characteristics, technology selections, performance algorithms, verification techniques, and sign-off of verification results.
- Leader at the center of internal teams and many different external collaboration models ranging from open source design, co-design partnerships, to turn-key OEM sourcing of broadband 4G and 5G RAN products.
- Evaluate and advise on commercial technology, vendor reference designs, third-party IP, and build-versus-buy decisions.
- Guide product definition to efficient and effective solutions with compelling customer value in real network deployments.
Essential Skills and Expertise/Experience
- Proven record of working on large mobile network systems either as a member of a network equipment manufacturer or as a radio technology provider.
- Background in ORAN and cloud technologies, algorithms and product development and verification; Network infrastructure, OAM standards, Operating systems and IP communications.
- Experienced in Software Functional Specification and Software Requirements Management.
- Experienced in integrating third-party and open source software IP.
- Detailed understanding of 3GPP specifications as RAN platforms.
- Wireless expert with strong hands-on technical skills and the demonstrated ability to work across disparate groups including sales, operations, product management, and engineering.
- Organized, goal-oriented technical leader to lead, follow, and effectively collaborate with knowledgeable development peers and business partners.
- Strong knowledge in 4G and 5G Radio and/or subsystems architecture, implementation and ecosystem.
Minimum Experience and Education
10+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience. Typically requires 7+ years diversified Software Systems Design, Software Functional Specification, RAN Platforms, Software Requirements Management, and Software Development with respect to RAN systems.
Dell Technologies is a unique family of businesses that helps organizations and individuals build their digital future and transform how they work, live and play—providing customers with the industry’s broadest and most innovative technology and services portfolio. We value our customers, winning together, innovation, results and integrity. Grow your career with a highly competitive salary, bonus programs, world-class benefits and unparalleled learning and development opportunities— all at a company that is proud to be diverse and inclusive. Learn more on how we are closing the diversity gap here.
Job ID: R065559