DC/Metro Network Engineer
Primary Location: Palo Alto,California
Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
By joining the Global Datacenter and Backbone network team, you will be engaged in designing, supporting, and troubleshooting network infrastructure within global datacenters and multiple global backbones, used to create VMware's products and to support company’s day-to-day operations, based on cutting edge technologies. Above all, you will get to work in a culture and team where new ideas and calculated risks are strongly encouraged and appreciated. If you are looking forward to working on the latest and top of the line technology stack related to Infrastructure keeping you always engaged and giving you ample learning opportunity, then this is the place.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
Being a key player and working with various teams in the datacenter and backbone to provide end-to-end connectivity, you will analyze and interpret incoming colleague Firewall changes from a security perspective:
- Within 60 days of employment, become competent with L2/L3 standards within VMware’s datacenters and standard operations.
- You will work closely with Storage, Server, and other Networking teams to provide day-to-day operations support in the Datacenters and global VMware network.
- Within 90 days of employment, you will be deploying new network Infrastructure in the datacenters and be responsible to resolve internal customer technical issues through diligent research, reproduction, and troubleshooting.
- Within 180 days you will be able to perform performance analysis, proactive troubleshooting, continual improvement, capacity planning of the network infrastructure for production and virtualized environments.
- Participate in programs to deploy SDN technology, based on various vendor solutions and VMware products.
- Perform Tier 3 escalation functions for other teams, responsible for various network and telecom service areas.
- Work with other network engineers on the maintenance of the environment.
- Perform tasks that are often unstructured and address issues that are less defined requiring new perspectives and creative approaches.
- Within 360 days along with the above, you will be reviewing the entire environment and execute initiatives to reduce failures, defects and improving overall performance.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
Your regular activities may be modified to suit your professional strengths, but you can expect a variety of the following assignments:
- On daily basis you will be monitoring the network performance.
- Work with various internal customers, analyze their requirements and propose a relevant network design as result.
- Build Visio diagrams, representing your design proposals and implementation recommendations.
- Create Change Management workflows for the proposed changes.
- Implement required changes with minimal or no downtime.
- Assist with quarterly and annual budgetary costings.
- On a daily basis apply hands-on changes on our network infrastructure.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements you will be performing and what are the skills you will need to apply on a regular basis?
You will be responsible to install, configure, manage, maintain, and support production network infrastructure for VMWare Internal and External Customers. You will be also involved in planning for disaster recovery, other backup contingencies, diagnose and troubleshoot services, software, and other network services related problems. Equally, you will assist the coordination between different teams, for smoother 24/7 day-to-day technical operations and executions.
You will be primarily responsible for the installation, configuration, and maintenance of all L2/L3 network infrastructure in the datacenter. Furthermore, you will be required to support the backbone infrastructure within various locations.
You should possess expert knowledge of TCP/IP, IP routing, LAN and WAN protocols, campus and data center switching. Some of the skills you should be prepared to bring should include VDC/MLAG/STP/FabricPath/VxLAN/OSPF/BGP/MPLS.
What is leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The Hiring Manager for this role is Zdravko Yonov, Senior Manager for Global Datacenter and Backbone network team. Zdravko is based in Sofia, Bulgaria and has been with VMware for 14 years. Zdravko is a Leader, fostering open dialogue, leading his team with a high sense of integrity, and encouraging all team members to apply a growth mindset in everything they do.
The team is distributed across and works from different parts of the Globe. We have team members working from Sofia (Bulgaria), Bangalore (India), Heredia (Costa Rica) and Atlanta (USA). We leverage the benefits of being located at different sites, whilst operating as one team, following business dynamics and a knowledge sharing culture.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, training, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing group classes
This job requisition is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsored by VMware.
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Network Engineering
Experience: Manager and Professional
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-05-04
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job ID: R2106732