To learn more about how Dell Technologies is supporting our communities, customers, partners and team members, please visit our COVID-19 response site.
Director of Research
Primary Location: Palo Alto, California
Additional Location(s): Palo Alto, California
About VMware Research Group
Director of the Research Group (VRG) will be the champion and mentor of a team of stellar researchers whose goals are to advance the state of the art and to disrupt the industry. VRG researchers accomplish this by combining research breakthroughs with VMware’s premier development capabilities and industry presence. With its early roots in academia, VMware has established itself as a source of ground breaking innovation with a culture that flourishes with technical leadership. The VRG is extending the depth of our innovation pipeline through a culture of research excellence combined with deep and meaningful partnerships that bridge the gap between academic research and the leading technologists within the Company’s business units.
Learn more about us: https://research.vmware.com/
Our Researchers are responsible for the investigation of new and unproven technologies, advancing state of the art, and developing ideas that inspire and inform the future of VMware. They are expected to launch new research initiatives and/or collaborate on existing research projects.
- Your role will be attracting bests-in-class researchers to the group in addition to the permanent research staff, this includes interns, post-docs, visiting scholars, etc. who am essential components of our program.
- You will mentor VRG researchers, guiding their career growth and professional development, including their stature within the Company and within the external research community. Don’t just be their manager – be their champion.
- You will create an extraordinary research environment in which the whole is greater than the sum of the parts by finding ways to synthesize multiple research threads into larger agendas – without compromising the integrity of the individual projects. You will guide VRG researchers towards disrupting the research community, through agenda-setting leadership in their respective research communities; and “Disrupting VMware”, by seeking out applications for key research advances that will create whole new business opportunities for VMware and/or preempt significant disruptions to our current businesses.
- Establishing productive working relationships with senior R&D staff to: understand the priorities of each engineering group; find opportunities for VRG engagement; and facilitate such engagements. Partner effectively with the Senior Director (Research and Innovation) identifying and implementing of the most promising paths from research to product/service, establish champions within the business units, etc.
- Establish strong collaborative projects with external researchers. Partner with the Director of the VMware Academic Program on the identification of key opportunities and encourage VRG researchers with them.
- You will also interact with customers to learn about the challenges they face and to create opportunities for the early dissemination of research results/artifacts through PoC’s etc.
- You will help get VRG messages out to: the research community, prospective employees, industry analysts, customers, developers, etc. This includes the development of collateral, distribution of research artifacts (e.g., OSS), external speaking by VMware researchers, participation in RADIO/VMworld, industry forums, etc.
- Role model our values and actively contribute to the health, fun and vibrancy of the VRG. Make the VRG the research environment you always dreamed of.
Qualifications and Experience
- Proved record of mentoring researchers and guiding them to success. This could either be in an industrial research setting or as a faculty member at a top university.
- Research track record in one or more technical areas relevant to VMware’s research agenda. Evidence of having defined and successfully pursued a research agenda that has had significant impact on research community and/or industry.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with product team executives and senior technologists.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with capability to facilitate technical conversations with and among researchers; and describe clearly to executives, customers and technologists the nature and importance of the problems VRG researchers are working on, the unique aspects of their approach, and their results and their implications.
- Capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously and able to travel both domestically and internationally, as needed.
- 15+ years of work experience in technology industry.
- Strong leadership and team-building skills with past management experience highly desirable.
- Preference for an individual who has experience building stuff people use --- prototypes, products, Opensource code, etc.
- Past success in research technology transfer highly desirable.
Ph.D. (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics or a discipline directly related to your area of research expertise.
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Product Dev Management
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2020-05-29
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job ID: R1915691