Director, R&D, Platform Engineering/Sensor Carbon Black Security Business UnitPalo Alto,California 02/21/2020
Sr. Director of Engineering, Security Business Unit
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. Built on VMware's industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a brave new model of IT that is fluid, instant and more secure. With Fiscal 2019 revenues of $8.97 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 75,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com. VMware is firmly committed to being a great place to work, with a strong focus on work life balance and employee friendly initiatives. It has repeatedly made lists of top 100 places to work.
As a standalone company, Carbon Black established itself as a leader in the endpoint security space. The product portfolio includes the rapidly growing Predictive Security Cloud (PSC) platform that delivers next-generation endpoint protection capabilities from the cloud. The opportunity is to build on Carbon Black’s success, now with the full resources of VMware.
This a ground floor opportunity to grow and mature both the products and the engineering team at a time of massive growth. The market opportunity is massive, and you can expect to scale the products to support very significant customer growth. And from a technology perspective, you will have a leadership position in driving the intrinsic security strategy, where security features are built into the infrastructure and across workloads, clients and applications.
Are you a driven engineering leader with a proven track record of leading a complex product and technology platform, shipping innovative software products or cloud services, and managing and growing an organization at scale?
We’re hiring a Senior Director of R&D to lead an engineering team focused on delivering Cloud Workload Protection built on the Carbon Black sensor platform. The platform supports multiple products including next-generation anti-virus (NGAV), endpoint detection and response (EDR), and query capabilities for Windows, Linux, and macOS operating systems, both on-premise and in the cloud.
Reporting to the Vice President of Engineering of the Carbon Black Security Business Unit, you’ll lead a geographically dispersed team of more than 50 engineers worldwide. Security domain experience, particularly in the endpoint space, is highly desired but otherwise a deep understanding of cloud systems, infrastructure, platform software or cloud services will be required.
What You’ll Do:
You’ll take forward the design and development of cloud workload and application protection services, and evolve the platform for resilience, reliability and elastic scale, across the Carbon Black Security BU’s portfolio of products.
You’ll establish a culture of excellence in execution. By defining realistic targets and milestones, you’ll focus the engineering teams, establish a high-level of team participation and interaction, serve as an inspiring mentor and coach, ensure that quality is a high priority at every stage, and move products into production in the desired timeframes.
- Drive the ongoing evolution and growth of Security Business Unit product portfolio and the transformation of the engineering teams to deliver services and capabilities in the cloud.
- Implement new or improved processes that are required for VMware to design and continue to build a more feature-rich, scalable, and high-performance set of VMware solutions.
- Possess a comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the complexities and needs of running a large software development organization such as making technology and architectural trade-offs, competitive analysis, market gap analysis, life-cycle management, etc.
- In depth experience in building and shipping high performance, scalable high-quality products to a large customer base. They have managed senior engineering talent and have a strong focus on product design, architecture and development. They are willing and able to get into technical details when needed.
- Work closely with the Product organization to obtain prompt resolution to key business issues likely to impact product release schedules, product requirements, product quality, and business operations.
What You’ll Bring:
- Minimum of 10+ years of direct management of engineering teams at a senior leadership level
- You will lead and grow an engineering team to translate the product vision and strategic future into a highly scalable Service that meets the needs of VMware’s large, global customer base.
- Passion to build, mentor, motivate and manage multiple teams of developers and technical leaders.
- Significant professional experience with cloud-native applications or services and/or modern, highly-performant cloud-based SaaS platform and services offerings.
- A very driven leader that is known to deliver in a high growth and highly dynamic environment at speed.
- Experience in leading a complex portfolio of products at different stages of maturity and market impact.
- Successful experience of setting the vision, building, leading and motivating large, diverse, globally dispersed Agile Engineering teams (100+).
BS in Computer Science or related degree.
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Product Dev Management
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Work From Home: No
Posted Date: 2020-02-21
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job Family: Product-Dev-Management Engineering R&D Job ID: R2002474