Sr. Principal Systems Development Engineer - NICs & Accelerators
- Round Rock, Texas
We believe that progress lives at the intersection of technology and humanity, and that our role is to bring innovation to people everywhere to drive progress around the world. Every member of our team plays a critical role in bringing our purpose to life — through our work, passion and commitment to do the absolute best we can for our company, our customers and each other.
What makes a successful Systems Engineer?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Senior Principal Systems Development Engineer
Our customers’ system requirements are usually highly complex. Bringing together hardware and software systems design, Systems Development Engineering operates at the very cutting edge of technology to meet them. We design and develop Network Interface Cards, SmartNICs, GPUs, and Accelerators, conduct feasibility studies on engineering proposals and prepare installation, operation and maintenance specifications and instructions. We’re proud to deliver programs and products to the highest quality standards, on time and within budget.
Join us as a Senior Principal Systems Engineer on our Enterprise Device Engineering team in Round Rock, Texas to do the best work of your career and make a profound social impact.
What you’ll achieve
As a Senior Principal Systems Development Engineer, you will design, define and implement complex system requirements for customers and prepare studies and analyses of existing NIC and GPU systems.
• Lead a small team of both Dell and partner engineers to deliver assigned systems, devices, and interfaces with design and process across extended teams
• Prepare documentation for inspection/testing procedures
• Design, develop and implement cost effective methods of testing and troubleshooting systems and equipment
• Prepare test and diagnostic programs, design test fixtures and equipment and complete specifications and procedures for new products
Take the first step towards your dream career
Every Dell Technologies team member brings something unique to the table. Here’s what we are looking for with this role:
- 12+ years of related experience in a professional role with a Bachelor’s degree in EE, CompE, ME, or CS; or 8+ years with a Master’s degree; or 5+ years with a PhD
- Advanced understanding of appropriate system architectures
- Deep knowledge of hardware and software interactions, and ability to apply this understanding to resolve issues
- Ability to lead, motivate and direct a workgroup
- Capability to influence others to achieve results
- Proficiency in working with third-party technical partners and geographically dispersed engineering team members to develop electronic assemblies and solve problems
- Ability to read, understand and apply technical data sheets, schematics, specifications or standards
- Demonstrated proficiency in solving complex problems and root cause analysis
- Ability to communicate (verbal and written) specifications, plans, status, and issue details
- Demonstrated expertise in managing suppliers or third-party engineering teams
- Career experience in related technical fields of Networking Comms, Ethernet, Fibre Channel, Infiniband or in Acceleration, GPUs, and machine learning.
- Working experience with networking and communications technologies such as Ethernet, TCP/IP, NC-SI, FC, iSCSI and Infiniband
- Working knowledge of Windows and/or Linux network and/or storage driver architecture and implementation; UEFI and Virtualized OS knowledge
- Experience with scripting languages like Python, C/C++, and web applications.
- Experience with virtualization using VMware, Hyper-V
- Windows/Linux/ESX administration experience
- Familiar with advanced networking switch configurations
- Embedded systems development experience
- Experience with remote network management and administration including standards such as Redfish, SMASH, MCTP, and PLDM
- Server or client computer systems development experience
- 2+ years of working with third-party technical partners/vendors/ODMs to develop hardware / software products
- Experience working with networking and timing products within the Telco, 5G, or RAN/VRAN environment
- Academic or applied experience focused in Deep Learning, Artificial Intelligence or related field
- Familiarity with image processing with Deep Learning and Computer Vision
- Familiarity with any of the deep learning frameworks: Tensorflow, Caffé, Theano, Torch
- Familiarity with GPU computing (CUDA, OpenCL) and HPC (MPI, OpenMP)
- Experience working with industry-leading GPU and FPGA accelerator products
- Software test/validation experience
- Experience with Open Source development/validation
- Familiar with advanced networking switch configurations
Global Sales at Dell
We believe that technology is essential for driving human progress, and we’re committed to providing that technology to people and organizations everywhere so they can transform the way they work and live. Join our sales team and be a part of our story.Learn More About Global Sales
Learn what it's like to work in the Round Rock Office.Explore this location
Rewards & Development
It's simple. We believe in rewarding our team members for a job well done, investing in their professional development and filling the majority of our open positions internally.
Health & Wellness
As part of our overall rewards, we offer benefits programs designed to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. These benefits are based on your location, so please ask your recruiter for more details.
Dell’s Connected Workplace program offers new ways to work and enables eligible team members to choose the style that best fulfills their needs, both in their job and their personal life.
You may be eligible for other programs in your location including employee purchase program, paid time away from work, financial and savings programs and more. Talk to your recruiter for more details on what benefits programs are available in your location.
Our culture is defined by our values and made real every day by how we work and lead. We know our culture is the foundation for all we’ve achieved, and for all the success ahead of us. Don't take it just from us – see what our employees say in our annual "Tell Dell" results.
- 90% My leader cares about my well-being both professionally and personally.
- 93% I am proud that I never have to worry about Dell Technologies showing up in a headline damaging our ethical reputation.
- 90% My job means more to me than just a paycheck and benefits
- 94% I believe flexible work arrangements (e.g., working remote, mobile, telework, etc.) at Dell Technologies contribute positively to our performance as a company.