Senior Principal Software Engineer (Security) - Santa Clara, CA
- Santa Clara, California
We believe that progress lives at the intersection of technology and humanity, and that our role is to bring innovation to people everywhere to drive progress around the world. Every member of our team plays a critical role in bringing our purpose to life — through our work, passion and commitment to do the absolute best we can for our company, our customers and each other.
What makes a successful Software Engineer?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Senior Principal Software Engineer
About Business Unit:
At Dell Technologies, you will have the opportunity to turn your ideas into a career with the world's largest Storage and Data Protection provider. Our Data Protection portfolio consists of highly integrated and industry-leading products and technologies that will change the way companies approach the protection and availability of their data and applications. Data Domain is an industry leader to provide best-of-breed solution for backup and archival needs. It provides disk based data protection with excellent storage efficiency using it’s unique In-line Data De-Duplication technology.
TheSecurity team’s charter is to build best of breedIdentity and Access Management (IAM) solutions. The Security team is responsible for providing secure access to system resources and customer centric manageability solutions. The focus of this team is to provide software interfaces to external and internal users to enhance their productivity. Some of the responsibilities of this team are Authentication (MFA, SSO), Fine grained access control (RBAC), Certificate Management, security audit and logging
Join us as a Senior Principal Software Engineer on our Software Engineering - Security team in Santa Clara, CA to do the best work of your career and make a profound social impact.
What you’ll achieve
As a Senior Software Principal Engineer, you will be responsible for architecting and developing high quality enterprise security features for Data Protection Appliances.
• Lead design, architecture and development of high quality enterprise security features for Data Protection Appliances
• Drive implementation of closed loop corrective action systems for projects and processes that may span multiple teams and participates in Quality and Customer Support functions for all existing and new products. Working closely with cross functional teams to determine, support, and qualify future requirements
• Participate in architecture discussions and reviews
• Provide resource, schedule and cost sizing for development and deployment of complex security features/enhancements
• Design and implement robust security related APIs that can be used by various components including front end
• Ability to direct a team of engineers on complex security projects
•Build effective unit and integration tests
• Ability to write scripts and tools for development and debugging
Take the first step towards your dream career
Every Dell Technologies team member brings something unique to the table. Here’s what we are looking for with this role:
• Love for writing, modular code in a fast paced, Agile development model
• Extensive experience leading design and architecture for complex software systems
• Strong development and programming experience in any one of the following languages C/C++/Java/Golang
• Experience debugging in gdb/jdb
• Experience in writing clear, high-quality, maintainable and extendable code with best practices of automated unit tests
• Broad knowledge of, and experience in, fundamental information security concepts. Secure coding practices and hardening the system defenses mentality
• Experience of understanding the threat vector including how to identify, mitigate and prevent
• Expertise of operating system (Linux, Unix), Data Structures, Algorithm, memory management, network protocols like NTP, HTTPS, SCP/SSH and SNMP
• Good knowledge of protocols such as TCP/IP, Sockets, RPC
• Have worked on large code base in perforce or git
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Team player who likes to work in incremental software delivery
• Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
• Agility to adapt to technologies and processes quickly
• Experience with fixing security vulnerabilities and working with static code analysis tools like coverity
• Experience with web servers and REST APIs
• Knowledge of authentication (local, name-service (NIS/LDAP/AD)).
• Knowledge of X509 certificates.
• Knowledge of authorization (RBAC) and auditing.
• Knowledge of TCP/IP and UDP, Socket programming, Multi-threading and network programming.
• Sound knowledge of OpenSSL and OpenSSH
• Knowledge about virtualized technology (VMware, Hyper-V, KVM)
• Cloud and kubernetes experience
• Knowledge of Python
Qualifications And Experience:
• Bachelor's or Master's in Computer Science or related field
• 10+ years of software development experience
Here’s our story; now tell us yours
Dell Technologies helps organizations and individuals build a brighter digital tomorrow. Our company is made up of more than 150,000 people, located in over 180 locations around the world. We’re proud to be a diverse and inclusive team and have an endless passion for our mission to drive human progress.
What’s most important to us is that you are respected, feel like you can be yourself and have the opportunity to do the best work of your life -- while still having a life. We offer excellent benefits, bonus programs, flexible work arrangements, a variety of career development opportunities, employee resource groups, and much more.
We started with computers, but we didn’t stop there. We are helping customers move into the future with multi-cloud, AI and machine learning through the most innovative technology and services portfolio for the data era. Join us and become a part of what’s next in technology, starting today.
You can also learn more about us by reading our latest Diversity and Inclusion Report and our plan to make the world a better place by 2030 here.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages. Read the full Equal Employment Opportunity Policy here.
Job Family: Engineering Software-Engineer Job ID: R088563
Global Sales at Dell
We believe that technology is essential for driving human progress, and we’re committed to providing that technology to people and organizations everywhere so they can transform the way they work and live. Join our sales team and be a part of our story.Learn More About Global Sales
Learn what it's like to work in the Santa Clara Office.Explore this location
Rewards & Development
It's simple. We believe in rewarding our team members for a job well done, investing in their professional development and filling the majority of our open positions internally.
Health & Wellness
As part of our overall rewards, we offer benefits programs designed to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. These benefits are based on your location, so please ask your recruiter for more details.
Dell’s Connected Workplace program offers new ways to work and enables eligible team members to choose the style that best fulfills their needs, both in their job and their personal life.
You may be eligible for other programs in your location including employee purchase program, paid time away from work, financial and savings programs and more. Talk to your recruiter for more details on what benefits programs are available in your location.
Our culture is defined by our values and made real every day by how we work and lead. We know our culture is the foundation for all we’ve achieved, and for all the success ahead of us. Don't take it just from us – see what our employees say in our annual "Tell Dell" results.
- 90% My leader cares about my well-being both professionally and personally.
- 93% I am proud that I never have to worry about Dell Technologies showing up in a headline damaging our ethical reputation.
- 90% My job means more to me than just a paycheck and benefits
- 94% I believe flexible work arrangements (e.g., working remote, mobile, telework, etc.) at Dell Technologies contribute positively to our performance as a company.