Software Principal Engineer - Storage HA & Resiliency DevelopmentSanta Clara, California 09/07/2018
Software Principal Engineer - Storage High Availability & Resiliency Development
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Product Team: Data Domain Engineering
JOB ID#: R62940
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities. We can’t wait for you to discover this for yourself as a talented software engineer on our Data Protection Team Product Team!
Our Software Systems Engineering team ensures that our customers have the software systems they need for a changing world. Working at the cutting edge, we design and deliver software systems modifications as well as enhancements of new products. We oversee product development at all stages: planning, designing, developing and testing operating systems, compilers, routers, utilities, databases, embedded management and control devices, plus internet-related tools.
We are looking for a Software Principal Engineer (HA & Storage Subsystem) to join our team in Santa Clara, CA. You will be part of the High Availability & Storage team working on Dell EMC’s Data Backup and Protection Storage. This is an opportunity to lead a new initiative on Clustered Storage Systems, interfacing with customers on triaging issues, as a main contributor to the success of our next generation of high performance and a highly reliable system for Data Protection Storage solutions.
- Responsible for designing and maintaining Data Backup and Protection Storage to support existing and new customer use cases in HA stack that includes interconnect, storage layer, filesystem, kernel & protocols subsystems
- Responsible for defining, architecting, implementing, and supporting large and complex modules in the Software.
- Actively participate in triaging customer reported issues and provide immediate fix or workaround to our customers.
- Root cause analysis for critical customer issues and implement action plan.
- Responsible for delivering Architecture, Design and Functional specifications.
- Participate in all phases of the development cycle including Coding, Code Reviews, Unit and Dev performance Testing.
- Analyze and improve system performance.
- Provide accurate and detailed schedule estimates for development efforts.
- Interface with cross functional teams such as Support, QA, and Product Management.
- Join us if you are ready to learn, innovate and grow your career with us.
- Extensive expertise with High Available and Resilient Storage Systems, Clustering and Interconnect Technologies, Storage Management and Device Driver Development; Scale out Storage, Clustered Storage Systems
- Understanding of kernel internals, designing, implementing and debugging at Kernel level, device driver implementation
- Experience in File System internals, Data Structures and Algorithms
- Experience in Unix (Linux or FreeBSD Preferred)/Unix systems programming in C
- Require strong skills in system programming, memory management, multi-core, distributed programming, and synchronization.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, self-directed environment, work with minimal supervision and efficiently handle multiple projects with shifting priorities
- Excellent Linux diagnostic and troubleshooting skills
- Techniques to scale algorithms without loss of performance.
- Agile software development using SCRUM
- Broad understanding of Linux and Linux kernel internals
- Experience in Python programming
- Strong verbal and written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
Experience and Level:
Typically requires 8+ years of related experience with a BS degree OR 6+ years with a MS OR 3+ years with PhD
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
If you’re ready to develop cutting-edge software for a changing world, this is your opportunity to develop with Dell.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.
DCAM1Job Family: Engineering-Development Graduates Job ID: R62940
Related Job Opportunities
- Senior Advisor, Strategic Business Development California
- Director of Software Engineering, Data Domain System Software California
- Sr. Manager, Software Engineering, Data Domain System Software California
Join Our Talent Network
Receive alerts with new job opportunities that match your interests.