Sr Software Engineer - Istio/K8S - Opportunity for Working Remotely
Primary Location: Boston,Massachusetts
Seattle,Washington,USA; Charlotte,North Carolina,USA; Austin,Texas,USA; Dallas,Texas,USA; Columbus,Ohio,USA; New York,New York,USA; Atlanta,Georgia,USA; Palo Alto,California,USA; Chicago,Illinois,USA; Philadelphia,Pennsylvania,USA;
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. VMware accelerates customers’ digital transformation journey by enabling enterprises to master a software-defined approach to business and IT. With VMware solutions, organizations are building extraordinary experiences by mobilizing everything. Our customers are responding faster to opportunities with modern data and apps hosted across hybrid clouds, and safeguarding customer trust with a defense-in-depth approach to cybersecurity.
We are the Service Mesh team in the CTO org working on addressing the challenges of scaling microservices architectures and known for innovation and execution. We work on cutting edge technologies around Service Mesh, Istio, Envoy, Kubernetes, Docker, cloud technologies, CI/CD, gRPC, timeseries and graph DB, messaging to name a few.
If you are passionate about working in a startup culture but with the benefits of a globally established company and are interested in learning the latest innovations happening in the cloud and microservices space then this role is for you.
- Design and implement microservices in Go-lang
- Design the GRPC API for communication between the microservices
- Configure, Extend and Deeply understand Istio and it's capabilities.
- Integrate application with open-tracing to have debugging/performance monitoring in production
- Package the application as a Kubernetes microservice and deploy on public cloud and on-prem environments.
- Support customer issues and bugs
- Work in a dynamic Agile development environment and being adaptable to changing requirements
- Intense eagerness to learn, ready to dive deep into complex problems
- Document architectures, procedures, and processes in use and contribute to improvement of the process
- Continuously review the product and code for optimizations and performance improvements
- Evaluate and recommend newer technologies to bring into the platform
- Design end-end architecture of newer systems and components and present them to the team
- Lead and mentor other engineers in the team
- Participate in planning , estimation, prioritization and cost-benefit analysis for projects
- Bachelors degree in CS or related field
- At least 3+ years of software engineering experience in Go
- Deep understanding of Istio. Code and Architecture.
- Solid understanding of object oriented concepts, distributed systems, REST/RPC based service development
- Sound coding logic with a focus on quality, availability, scalability and performance.
- Familiarity with source control tools like Git
- Customer focused and team player with a positive can-do attitude
- Expertise in Golang
- Experience working with Docker containers and Kubernetes deployments
- Experience working in AWS
- Experience with distributed tracing
- Led large projects at scale in a public cloud environment
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-06-14
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job ID: R2110275