Technical Support Principal Engineer
- Shanghai, China
We believe that progress lives at the intersection of technology and humanity, and that our role is to bring innovation to people everywhere to drive progress around the world. Every member of our team plays a critical role in bringing our purpose to life — through our work, passion and commitment to do the absolute best we can for our company, our customers and each other.
What makes a successful Product Services team member?
Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Problem Solver
Principal Technical Support Engineer
At Dell Technologies, world-class service doesn’t end when a customer purchases our innovative products. Our Technical Support team is there for them whenever they need help – by phone or email, online and on social media. No matter how complex the challenge, we rise to it. We answer questions about the installation, operation, configuration, customization and use of Dell Technologies products. For critical matters, we use our systems to provide remote diagnostic technical support. If there’s an issue with a customer’s product, we’ll analyze it, identify the cause, recommend a solution and document the problem.
Join us as a Principal Engineer on our Technical Support team in [Shanghai] to do the best work of your career and make a profound social impact.
Summary of Position:
The Technical Support Engineer (TSE) will work directly with global customers and EMC/Data Domain personnel via e-mail, phone, and remote desktop software to provide technical assistance towards the prompt resolution of complex technical problems. To achieve that, TSE’s work in a collaborative 7x24x365 environment leveraging global resources to reduce the time it takes to provide problem resolution. TSEs will support the full line of Data Domain products within the “Data Protection and Availability solutions” (DPAS).
Value to the Organization:
- All TSEs are advocates for product quality; product usability; and the on-going relationship with our customers.
- TSEs identify, create, and reuse knowledge (KBs) that add value to our customers.
- TSEs provide agility to the EMC/DPAS organization vis-à-vis the “Integrated Solutions Network (ISN)” model.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Answer live incoming phone calls and respond to e-mails to troubleshoot, manage, collaborate and resolve customer problems related to the Data Domain product family.
- Monitor automated product alert e-mails and act on them.
- Create content for the knowledge base through accurate case documentation.
- Assist customers with the upgrade process.
- Process logistics/parts requests.
- Assist customers with standard backup software integration with Data Domain Products.
- Obtain data from customers to get a thorough understanding of customer requirements and problems.
- Interface with customers via e-mail, phone and/or WebEx.
- Analyze logs and core files as needed to work towards resolution of customer issues.
- Work with 3rd party service providers in the process of analyzing and resolving customer issues.
- Generate problem reports in Bugzilla to coordinate with engineering to obtain quick resolutions for customer related issues.
- Linux/Unix Systems Administration is critical
- Windows Systems Administration is a plus
- Understanding of the OSI stack
- Ability to work with tools such as snoop, tcpdump, traceroute to decipher Network issues
- Knowledge of various protocols such as NFS,CIFS,SNMP
- Understanding of OST technology is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced skills in analytical and problem solving with attention to detail
- Ability to work as an individual or on a team.
- Ability to create clearly documented bug reports as needed.
- Ability to read and understand technical bug reports.
- Self-starter with ability to learn quickly and operate in a fast paced environment.
- Some project management and negotiation skills.
- Ability to identify root cause of an issue (isolate in source code) and write or assist in writing of RCA documents
Behavioral Competencies Required:
Collaborative: Develops cooperation and teamwork while participating in a group, working toward solutions which generally benefit all involved parties.
Results Oriented: Identifies, confronts and overcomes barriers to successful completion of task or project
Customer Oriented: Listens to and anticipates needs of the customer.
Team Player: Works well with a diverse or multi-disciplinary group to achieve a common goal
Adaptable: Capable of adapting to others and new situations; flexible; can handle multiple tasks
Problem Solver: Effective at solving problems, not just defining or complaining about them
7+ years Technical Support experience (Backup, Storage or Networking environment preferred)
Beneficial Education & Certifications
- Bachelors or equivalent working experience.
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA)
Here’s our story; now tell us yours
Dell Technologies helps organizations and individuals build a brighter digital tomorrow. Our company is made up of more than 150,000 people, located in over 180 locations around the world. We’re proud to be a diverse and inclusive team and have an endless passion for our mission to drive human progress.
What’s most important to us is that you are respected, feel like you can be yourself and have the opportunity to do the best work of your life -- while still having a life. We offer excellent benefits, bonus programs, flexible work arrangements, a variety of career development opportunities, employee resource groups, and much more.
We started with computers, but we didn’t stop there. We are helping customers move into the future with multi-cloud, AI and machine learning through the most innovative technology and services portfolio for the data era. Join us and become a part of what’s next in technology, starting today.
You can also learn more about us by reading our latest Diversity and Inclusion Report and our plan to make the world a better place by 2030 here.
Application closing date: 13/06/2021
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages. Read the full Equal Employment Opportunity Policy here.
Job Family: Product-Services Engineering Job ID: R096292
Global Sales at Dell
We believe that technology is essential for driving human progress, and we’re committed to providing that technology to people and organizations everywhere so they can transform the way they work and live. Join our sales team and be a part of our story.Learn More About Global Sales
Learn what it's like to work in the Shanghai Office.Explore this location
Rewards & Development
It's simple. We believe in rewarding our team members for a job well done, investing in their professional development and filling the majority of our open positions internally.
Health & Wellness
As part of our overall rewards, we offer benefits programs designed to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle. These benefits are based on your location, so please ask your recruiter for more details.
Dell’s Connected Workplace program offers new ways to work and enables eligible team members to choose the style that best fulfills their needs, both in their job and their personal life.
You may be eligible for other programs in your location including employee purchase program, paid time away from work, financial and savings programs and more. Talk to your recruiter for more details on what benefits programs are available in your location.
Our culture is defined by our values and made real every day by how we work and lead. We know our culture is the foundation for all we’ve achieved, and for all the success ahead of us. Don't take it just from us – see what our employees say in our annual "Tell Dell" results.
- 90% My leader cares about my well-being both professionally and personally.
- 93% I am proud that I never have to worry about Dell Technologies showing up in a headline damaging our ethical reputation.
- 90% My job means more to me than just a paycheck and benefits
- 94% I believe flexible work arrangements (e.g., working remote, mobile, telework, etc.) at Dell Technologies contribute positively to our performance as a company.