Senior Corporate Counsel / Corporate Counsel
Primary Location: Staines
About our Legal Team:
VMware’s Legal Department is a global team of dedicated legal and compliance professionals who share a passion and enthusiasm to both understand and successfully navigate every aspect of VMware’s fast-growing business. We are Fearless Legal Innovators, we lead with strategic solutions, inspire an ethical culture and drive VMware’s success. In November 2018, VMware Legal was honored with winning the Financial Times Intelligent Business Award for Contracting for making tangible improvements in VMware’s business through better contract management
Role:(Senior) Corporate Counsel – Northern EMEA
Reporting to: Director & Assistant General Counsel, NEMEA
VMware has an opening for a talented, self-motivated (Senior) Corporate Counsel to join VMware’s Commercial Legal Group (CLG) in Staines, United Kingdom. You will be part of a high-performing, customer-focused group of legal professionals working collaboratively in a fast paced, growing business with particular focus on large Cloud transformational deals as well as SaaS based transactions. A core job responsibility is to support the VMware business in the NEMEA region (with a focus on the UK&I sub region) in negotiating licensing, cloud and professional services contracts. The CLG attorneys, together with our Contract Negotiators, are working in close collaboration with our Sales team, Deal Management Team, Finance and Operations to ensure best in class, seamless support to our customers. The role also includes responsibility to advise the business on compliance matters and to support corporate and labor law matters in close collaboration with the respective subject matter experts in EMEA and globally. In addition, as a member of the EMEA Legal Group, this person will have the opportunity to be involved in strategic legal projects in the EMEA region.
- Draft, review and negotiate a broad range of agreements, ranging from large and complex Cloud transformational technology agreements, various forms of software licenses, Software as a Service, support and maintenance, professional services contracts, partner agreements, RfPs , subcontractor agreements, localization and non-disclosure agreements. You will advise on liabilities, legal restrictions and risks associated with such agreements.
- Act as legal subject matter expert for VMware’s Deal Management Team and Contract Negotiator team.
- Review contractual documents to ensure adherence to company policies, including revenue recognition issues.
- Partner with the business teams to understand the commercial and financial issues involved in the negotiation of contracts.
- Advise on contractual rights and obligations and provide interpretation of terms and conditions, and make recommendations based on a risk analysis.
- Deliver trainings on contractual and compliance issues to the sales and deal management teams.
- Provide local support to VMware’s HR team in collaboration with the Employment Legal Group and Outside Counsel.
- Support the setup of new legal entities and corporate secretarial aspects of existing legal entities, the integration of the business of acquired entities, and other corporate matters.
- Support on diverse regulatory matters.
- Collaborate and partner effectively with the business, sales account executives, Finance and Deal Management Team, including providing advice and counsel to executives and sales professionals on legal, financial and commercial issues related to a broad range of commercial transactions.
- Actively contribute to knowledge management initiatives, such as Playbooks, Contract templates, Policy documents, Negotiation positioning, Training & Lessons learned.
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives in the Negotiation & Contracting area, helping to improve contracting efficiencies, processes and agreements that scale globally.
- Act as a fiduciary for the company driving compliance in day-to-day sales activities, including providing training and counseling to sales professionals and coordinating with other groups within the global VMware Legal Department on compliance matters.
- Participate in special projects within the legal department as assigned, including efforts to develop, implement and enhance processes and policies that improve transaction velocity, efficiency and standardization.
- Law Degree from a reputable and recognized university. Member of the law society of England and Wales.
- 8-12 years+ experience in reviewing, drafting, managing and negotiating a wide variety of international commercial contracts in the IT sector, with a strong emphasis on software licensing including SaaS agreements and professional services/project implementation agreements
- Broad knowledge of data protection and data security issues.
- Experience with corporate law matters.
- Experience in public procurement law and in responding to public tenders is a plus.
- Knowledge of English labor law is a plus.
- Excellent negotiator with strong influencing skills that can plan, manage and conduct negotiations on a non-confrontational win-win basis.
- Strong business acumen and a familiarity with GAAP rules and revenue recognition issues.
- An exceptional critical thinker who possesses strong business acumen and excellent judgment; proactive working style with attention to detail; strong customer service skillset.
- Must be able to work independently and juggle multiple priorities, in a fast-paced high-growth environment.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, with ability to distill complex issues clearly and communicate well both one-on-one and in groups, and a strong sense of team work.
- Strong leadership skills, with the highest degree of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- Previous in-house experience with a US software or IT company strongly preferred.
- Fluency in English is essential with fluency in additional European languages highly desirable.
Category : Legal
Subcategory: Legal Counsel
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2020-11-13
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job ID: R2017732