Senior Blockchain Product EngineerSydney,New South Wales 03/05/2020
VMware is the leader in cloud infrastructure, business mobility and virtualization software. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and policy-driven automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace.
With 2015 revenues of $6.6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers, 75,000 partners, and 18,000+ employees in 120+ locations around the world. At the core of what we do are our employees who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Want to be part of a compassionate community that thrives on architecting what's next in IT? Learn more at vmware.com/careers.
VMware’s Blockchain Strategy
Blockchain is an emerging technology that promises to change the world we live in. With VMware’s vast experience in building highly trusted distributed systems and our background in doing advanced research in this space for several years, we are poised to change the industry’s definition of blockchain and what it can do. We are building out a team of highly skilled individuals to help us build this business and change the industry. This is a unique opportunity to join an early business unit team within the Office of the CTO that is building a business from the incubation project that built the first service offering.
VMware’s blockchain service is architected to be a multi-cloud, multi-blockchain hybrid SaaS solution. Our team works on cutting edge technology to deliver unique services for enterprise customers wanting to leverage this new technology but need the robustness and performance that they have grown accustomed to in the enterprise. In this role, you will work with a team of talented and focused leaders while leveraging VMware’s Research Group, the open source blockchain efforts, key partners, and the broader VMware product and partner community.
About the Role
As the Senior Blockchain Product Engineer, the ideal candidate is an application architect with a background in building complex distributed systems, understanding how to gather requirements and map them to technical architecture. The candidate should have an in-depth software engineering background, have worked in business application development for the banking sector and have delivered at least one major project with Blockchain technologies. The candidate must be able to rapidly iterate between customer requirements and product feature capabilities, work collaboratively with product engineering, the customer and various parties involved to close product gaps. The candidate must have strong hands-on experience in C++, Java, Scala, and/or Go, recent exposure to distributed systems, Kubernetes, enterprise reliability models and CI/CD processes.
- Blockchain application and/or Smart contract development/architecture experience
- Enterprise application architecture experience with business-critical applications in the financial services sector
- 10 years of experience with three or more; C++, JAVA, Scala, Go, Python, DAML or other functional programming language
- 5+ years of experience with PostgreSQL and RocksDB
- 3+ years of experience with OpenTracing, Fluentd, Prometheus, Wavefront, vRealize Log Insight
- 3+ years of experience with gRPC, SSL/TLS, protobuf, REST APIs
- Hands-on experience with virtual datacenters using vCenter and ESXi 6.5 and above
- Proficient with container platforms like Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, Openshift, PKS, etc.
- Hands-on experience with CI/CD pipelines
- Proficient in Linux operating system (5+ Years, multiple distributions)
- In-depth understanding of L2/L3 networking protocols including switching technologies, routing protocols, subnetting, DNS, ARP, DHCP, VLANs, Firewalls, VPNs, Tunneling Protocols, Load Balancers, Forward / Reverse Proxies, L7 Security Appliances, SSL/TLS Debugging & Certificate Management
- Experience with Jira, Jenkins, and Git
- B.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, or equivalent work experience
- Experience working with communication tools: Slack, Hipchat, Zoom
- Recommended 5+ years of direct customer-facing consultancy experience
- Strong background in business-critical production application in financial services and experience with SaaS/Cloud based systems
- Experience dealing with various global customers/partners, maintaining and establishing relationship with them while keeping them up to date with all relevant open issues and on-going projects
- Able to handle escalations with demanding customers at a technical and management level
- Must be highly self-motivated and customer-centric
- Strong technical writing, verbal communication, project management and problem-solving skills
- Ability to research problems and document their solutions
- Demonstrated ability to manage time efficiently, balancing competing priorities
- Must be able to travel (domestic & international)
- Available for on-call, after-hour rotations, or holidays with prior notice and as needed
- Open to travel with Australia and Internationally 30% of time
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Work From Home: No
Posted Date: 2020-03-05
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job Family: Software-Engineering Engineering Job ID: R1903139