Senior Software Engineer Tanzu Labs
Primary Location: ,Tokyo
You have a passion for high-quality, reliable and maintainable code. You’re comfortable working side by side with product managers, designers, and clients, making decisions together in order to quickly deliver valuable working software to clients and their users. You’re agile and retrospective, and not afraid to identify what we’re doing wrong so we can fix it, and what we're doing right so we can improve on it. Above all, you judge your success by the success of your team and the happiness of our customers.
What You’ll Be Doing
You will be working on the VMware Tanzu Labs Services team, helping customer product teams to design and deliver modern, mission-critical, cloud-native applications serving a variety of missions and user needs.
As a software engineer, you will pair daily with client software engineers, coaching them in Extreme Programming (XP) methodologies and approaches while helping them to define, validate, communicate, and execute product vision and strategy. You will work with a team of product managers, designers, and engineers to enable your client team to go fast forever.
You Will Be Responsible For
- Working with your client engineers to enable them in XP software development practices and/or application modernization practices
- Pair programming with clients and other VMware Tanzu Labs engineers to build/modernize software based on the team’s backlog
- Managing risk and uncertainty while moving the team forward
- Teaching your client pairs how to do the above for themselves
- Enabling client leadership to grow their own engineering practice
- Contributing back to the VMware Tanzu Labs engineering practice through internal sharing
Required Skills and Experience
- Native level of Japanese and business level English
- Strong communication skills and an interest in a pair-programming environment
- Experience with, or strong desire to do, full-stack development
- 6+ years of Software Development experience in a variety of programming languages
- Passion for growing your skills, tackling interesting work and challenging problems
- Experience developing cloud-based software
- Ability to incrementally define and improve system architecture as a product evolves
- Experience with Continuous Integration (CI) tools
- Ability to Work From Home until sufficient resolution of the COVID-19 Crisis
Desired Skills and Experience
Below is a list of skills we value. This is not a checklist. If you have some of these skills, and want to grow into others, then we want to hear from you.
- Experience in training, mentoring and/or upskilling others
- Experience in Test Driven Development (TDD) and agile methodologies, including refactoring
- Experience working directly with clients
- Experience with domain driven design and architecting systems that are easy to change
- Experience in release management
- Experience supporting production systems using Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) practices
- Experience with Kubernetes or related automation / orchestration tools
- Experience with networking and related technologies (e.g. load balancing / DNS / SSL / firewalls / NAT / SDN)
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud or OpenStack
- Experience with a platform as a service product such as Cloud Foundry, Heroku, Elastic Beanstalk, or similar
- Solid understanding of systems monitoring, alerting and analytics
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
What’s it like to work at VMware
We believe that teams should spend more of their time delivering incremental value and less on building infrastructure. We’re building platforms, tools, and automation, including Tanzu Application Service, Tanzu Kubernetes Grid, and Tanzu Mission Control, to enable our customers to easily and confidently develop and run the software that powers their business. Hundreds of companies rely on our platform to meet the needs of millions of their customers. Our engineers embrace Extreme Programming (XP) as a way to go fast forever and deliver remarkable results. Our product managers and product designers work side-by-side with our engineers in small, empowered teams, using Lean and UCD as guides. We measure success by making our customers more productive, as software developers, product managers, and product designers.
- Empower Teams - Diverse teams with shared context, psychological safety, and decision-making authority move faster.
- Start Simple - Learn just enough to begin and let the work inform the direction.
- Embrace Change - Expect change and turn it into opportunity.
- Deliver Early and Often - Ship value to users and measure impact to lower risk.
- Improve Continuously - We are always learning and humbled by what we don’t know.
- Contribute to Open Source Communities - Share our time, tools, and methodologies to maximize our impact.
- Always be kind
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Manager and Professional
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-03-09
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. Job ID: R2100534