Advice for Working Remote
Miriam K. | TA Director | Latin America (LATAM)
Originally Published: May 11, 2022
At Dell Technologies, we believe work is not tied to where you are but what you do.
We also believe technology makes it possible to work from almost anywhere, and many of our team members are eligible to our Dell Technologies Connected Workplace program that allows team members to do just that, by choosing the work style that best fulfills their needs on the job and in their personal lives.
|Our Talent Acquisition Director for Latin America, Miriam K., manages her remote team of over 70 people all over Latin America. She also shares her home environment with her family. With her experience of working from home and a routine with kids, she brought us 10 tips on how to establish a good place to work from home.
- Establish a routine for starting and ending the workday. Each person establishes the ritual that suggests the beginning and the end of their work routine. Remote work doesn't mean working 24 hours a day, and you can also adjust your schedule to your personal needs; Enjoy the bonus of being able to have a healthy breakfast with your family, and time to spend with them, or even to have extra time for yourself.
- Respect your schedules and breaks - don't forget to take breaks (and drink water!). Especially, always book a time to stop for lunch. Enjoy another bonus: being able to have lunch with the family.
- Avoid embarrassing situations. We all have calls during the day and sometimes it happens that some family member will appear during a call (and that is completely fine!). But one tip is to make sure everyone around you is dressed appropriately as well – this will help avoid embarrassing moments.
- Talk openly as a family about this coexistence and the meaning of remote work, establishing agreements and even signs to respectfully ask for the reduction of noise in the house, especially if an important meeting/presentation is happening.
- Have a good internet connection - Dell provides a financial help to pay for internet for eligible team members.
- If possible, have your workspace clean, airy and organized. If this is not possible, find a place that is a little more private, with good lighting and low noise – this will help you to focus better.
- Take breaks to exercise your body and mind throughout the day. Activities such as stretching, Pilates exercises, Yoga, meditation, etc., will help you to stay healthy and avoid stress; if possible, take a few minutes for a walk in the sun before 10 am.
- Set aside some time for virtual coffee: just because you're working from home doesn't mean moments of (virtual) social interaction need to be forgotten. Those minutes before a meeting or before it ends, or even a moment specifically scheduled for the virtual coffee, are fundamental for the social that exists within us to continue to be cultivated.
- Need to take a break and go to the couch, Netflix or video game? Remember you can also do some household activity that can include the kids, such as playing, organizing or cooking things together, and doing craft activities.
- Do not forget to preserve the confidentiality of the information, since some information is for your company's internal use only and should not be shared.
To learn more about a career with Dell, click here.